The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) was established with the primary objective of issuing a unique identification number, known as Aadhar, to every resident of India. This 12-digit number serves as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India. Aadhar is not only a proof of identity but also of citizenship; however, it does not replace other identification documents like passport or PAN card.
UIDAI’s Online Portal and Dashboard
UIDAI’s online portal is a one-stop destination for all Aadhar-related services. It offers a user-friendly interface where residents can check their Aadhar status, update details, download the Aadhar card, and access various other services. The dashboard is designed to provide quick access to essential features, ensuring that users don’t have to navigate through multiple pages.
Comprehensive Services Offered by UIDAI
Aadhar Seva Kendra Services
Aadhar Seva Kendras are state-of-the-art centers established by UIDAI to provide Aadhar-related services to the public. These include:
- Fresh Aadhar enrollment.
- Updating details such as Name, Address, Mobile Number, and more.
Online Aadhar Card Services
UIDAI’s online portal offers a plethora of services, including:
- Demographic Data Update: Residents can update their name, address, date of birth, and other details.
- Aadhar Card Status: Check the status of your Aadhar application or updates.
- Download Aadhar Card: Download an electronic version of the Aadhar card, known as e-Aadhar.
- PVC Aadhar Card Order: Order a more durable and convenient PVC version of the Aadhar card.
Importance and Benefits of Aadhar Card
Aadhar Card, over the years, has become an essential document for Indian residents. Some of its benefits include:
- Banking and KYC: Aadhar serves as a significant document for KYC verification, simplifying the process of opening bank accounts.
- Direct Subsidies: With Aadhar-linked bank accounts, residents can receive direct benefits from government subsidies.
- Passport Acquisition: The process of obtaining a passport is streamlined with Aadhar as one of the documents.
- Government Schemes: Aadhar ensures that benefits of government schemes reach the intended beneficiaries.
Digital Integration and Mobile Services
UIDAI has embraced the digital revolution by introducing the mAadhaar mobile application. Available for both Android and iOS users, this app allows residents to carry their Aadhar information on their smartphones. The app offers features like locking/unlocking biometrics, viewing Aadhar authentication history, and generating virtual ID.
Recent Updates and News from UIDAI
- Aadhar Authentication Transactions: In March 2023, Aadhar authentication transactions reached a record 2.31 billion. Read more about the record Aadhar authentication transactions in March 2023.
- Aadhar’s Role in Reuniting Families: A heartwarming story emerged in July 2023, where Aadhar played a pivotal role in reuniting a missing divyang woman with her family in Assam. Read the full story of how Aadhar helped reunite the divyang woman with her family.
- Aadhar-based Face Authentication: May 2023 saw Aadhar-based face authentication transactions crossing an all-time high of 10.6 million. Learn more about the Aadhar-based face authentication milestone in May 2023.
FAQs and Common Queries
How to apply for Aadhar Card?
Residents need to visit an Aadhar Seva Kendra for enrollment. Online applications are not accepted. For more details you can read more information on uidai.gov.in.
What is the e-Aadhar password?
The password for e-Aadhar is a combination of the first four letters of the name in CAPS and the birth year. For example, for the name “SURESH KUMAR” born in 1990, the password would be “SURE1990”.
Which documents are required for Aadhar?
Residents need to provide proof of identity, address, and date of birth. The list of acceptable documents is available on the uidai.gov.in.
The Aadhar initiative by UIDAI has revolutionized the way identity verification is done in India. As we progress into the digital age, Aadhar continues to play a pivotal role in ensuring a seamless and efficient system for residents, bridging the gap between technology and governance.